Saturday, November 11, 2017

Experiencing the Basic Leather Workshop



I've attended the Basic Leather Crafting Everyday Essentials hosted by Cindel and Abbey from HolyCraft Studios. It was held at the Builtable CoWorking space yesterday (November 11). HolyCraft is based in Alabang and good thing they're hosting an event here at Mandaluyong city which was an easy commute for me.

I love arts and crafts since I was child but I haven't been serious about it for almost 5 years until yesterday. I've been a busy-bee with my work as a web and software developer. Going to the office and back at home was becoming monotonous. I don't spend a lot of time outside but I pushed myself to do something different.... hooray!


At the workshop, I learned about the different kinds of leather, surface difference, leather crafting tools, and the shops where we can purchase supplies. The hosts taught us how to attach buttons snaps, make a magic braid, wallets, monogrammed bag tag, key chain and cord organizer. I gave them to my dad and he was so stoked to use them.


It was very challenging for me to build along with the others. I'm socially awkward and I'm a bit shy when asking for help. It's a good thing the hosts come to me often and offer assistance. Usually, the other participants gets their attention.. haha. 



I thought at first that paying Php2990.00 was too hefty but I was surprised that we get to bring home some free kit and I absorbed a lot of knowledge afterwards. I really like the workshop venue too.

Left: Ms. Abbey (Co-host); Middle: Tricia (Participant); Right: Cindel (Main Host)
They raffled a leather tote bag which is won by a participant named Tricia. Another one is a purse won by my seatmate... I think her name is Marie. Too bad I didn't win. I really wanted that bag so I could give it to my mom. Well, I guess I could make one for her. At least I could level up my skills by making one.


Our class photo (2nd batch). The first batch was a hit so they had to make another workshop. By the way, that's me wearing a striped white shirt and jeans (2nd from the left) and my seatmate wearing a denim jacket and pants (middle). She's really nice and warm which makes me feel a little less awkward. 

Taking part at the workshop was an amazing and freeing experience because you get to use raw material in many ways. Even my seatmate was excited and awed by everything.

So, yay for a new skill learned! I'm excited to make more so I could sell them this coming holiday season! Woohoo!


Good to know stuffs:

Instagram Pages: HolyCraft Studio / Builtable

Where to buy leather supplies? (applicable to Philippine residents)
- Marikina Public Market / Nation Shoppe / Sangra Leather Access / Lazada

I want to attend a workshop too! Where can I sign up?
-  Just visit HolyCraft Studio's website and click on the Workshops tab for future events. There's also another company that also offer leather workshops too. It's called SoulFlower and they're based on Quezon city. 

No comments:

Post a Comment