Saturday, January 27, 2018

Getting Ready for InCoWriMo 2018


Hello!

I'm very excited for the InCoWriMo this coming February. This will be second time participating. I was only able to send a few letters last year. But I was able to gain a few penpals to write with throughout the year.

My love affair for writing letters started when I was very young. It started with exchanging letters with close friends. Eventually, I sent letters to hospital patients and soldiers. I also enjoy writing letters and give them to random strangers. It was only last year that I exchanged mail internationally.

Fun fact: I'm still writing to one of my first and longest penpal. We're now communicating thru email. He was complaining about the hassle in writing and the fees... haha!


So, what is InCoWriMo?

It stands for Interntational Correspondence Writing Month. Every day at the month of February, you get to pick someone (living abroad or a local) to exchange letters with. You make a HANDWRITTEN letter - no computers, no email, no tweets, no typewriters or any ccmputer generated letters. Let's go old school, pretend it's the 1970's.



Count me in! How do I start?

According to Eric over at InCoWroMo.org, you should first recite this pledge:

“I, [insert your name], clearly see the benefits of InCoWriMo participation, not only to me personally, but also to those who will receive my correspondence. InCoWriMo is a beneficial endeavor and worthy of my full attention. I hereby pledge to hand-write and mail/deliver one letter, card, note or postcard every day during the month of February.”

Supplies? The basic items are nvelopes, simple or fancy paper, pen and mail stamps. You may get creative about it - seal your envelopes with wax, decorate your letters with glitters, stickers or whatever. Although it's not mandatory, you can send flat items likes like stationeries, stickers, cards, journaling items, candies, drawings, local tickets, etc..




Where can I get addresses?

Here are different sources to find that someone:

Facebook Groups

Websites
- Instagram (search for hashtags: #incowrimo and #incowrimo2018). Some people post invitations if they want to exchange leatters.


I want to join but I'm a bit hesitant to give my personal details...

Have you tried renting a PO box at your local post office? If that's not an option, you may also write an alias with your home address. Write only about your general info. Make sure to keep sensitive information to yourself.


Can I send a letter to you?

Of course! Just shoot me a message: lopezdaisyd14 (at) gmail (dot) com
Write the subject: "InCoWriMo 2018: Be my penpal"


Good luck and have fun!

We'd love to hear about your plans on InCoWriMo!


Let's Get Creative,
DAISY

No comments:

Post a Comment